St. Paul’s Lutheran School exists to assist parents in the God-given responsibility to train their children in the truths and promises of God’s Word in order to prepare them for a Christian life on earth and for an eternal life in heaven. We strive for academic excellence while keeping a Christ-centered focus. We are here to serve the members of our congregation as well as families from our community with the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
Purpose of St. Paul’s Lutheran School
St. Paul’s Lutheran School is an agency of St. Paul’s Lutheran Church of the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod (WELS) and serves to advance the church’s purpose of reaching ever-increasing numbers of people in our community with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. God tells the church in his Word:
“Feed my lambs.” John 21:15
“Go and make disciples of all nations … teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.” Matthew 28:19, 20
St. Paul’s Lutheran School was established by the membership of the congregation to help fulfill these God-given directives.
God gave parents the responsibility to provide Christian training for their children. As he tells parents in his Word:
“Fathers do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.” Ephesians 6:4
“Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these.” Mark 10:14
“Impress them [the doctrines of God’s Word] on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.” Deuteronomy 6:7
“See that you do not look down on these little ones…Your Father in heaven is not willing that any of these little ones should be lost.” Matthew 18:10, 14
Our schools’ primary focus is to assist our congregation’s parents with this responsibility, not to replace parents in this role. As Christian parents, we thank God for the opportunity to provide our children with the Christ-centered education which they so vitally need.
Our Scriptural Foundation
St. Paul’s Lutheran School is founded on these eternal truths as revealed in God’s inerrant Word, the Holy Scriptures:
- The Holy Scriptures are the inspired Word of God, inerrant and infallible (2 Timothy 3:16; John 17:17; John 10:35).
- There is only one true God – Father, Son, and Holy Spirit (1Timothy 2:5; Matthew 3:16-17).
- God created all things in six normal days and created humans as the crown of that creation (Genesis 1).
- Mankind’s fall into sin has corrupted the entire human race, making all people guilty of sin and, therefore, subject to damnation (Isaiah 64:6; Romans 3:9-12; Romans 5:12; Romans 6:23).
- God, through His grace, love, and mercy, sent His only Son Jesus to live a perfect life, to suffer, and to die to pay for all people’s sins (John 3:16; Romans 5:6-8; 1 John 2:2).
- All who, through the work of Holy Spirit, believe that Jesus is their Savior receive forgiveness of sins, life, and salvation (Romans 5:1-2; Romans 8:1; Titus 3:4-7).
- Motivated by thankfulness and love toward God, Christians will use their gifts and talents to spread the Word of God. They will help their fellow Christians and fellow human beings in every way possible (Matthew 25:31-46; Matthew 28:19; Psalm 51:10-13, 15; 2 Corinthians 5:14-15).
The eternal truths stated above are the foundation of St. Paul’s Lutheran School, its curriculum, and all of its activities. Through its Christian education program, St. Paul’s Lutheran School strives to provide faithfully for the eternal welfare of each child and to guide the individual in the maximum development of their spiritual, mental, and physical abilities given to them by God.
In teaching the children entrusted to our care, St. Paul’s Lutheran School has the following aims:
- We strive to nurture and strengthen the faith of each child by providing systematic and thorough instruction in God’s Word.
- We give students a Christ-centered education. We want them to know and believe in Jesus as their Savior, who came into this sinful world to suffer and die for their sins. Through the teachings of the Law they will realize their own unworthiness for salvation, but through the Gospel they are led to rejoice in the sure hope of eternal life.
- All subjects are taught in the light of God’s Word. All subjects are taught in a way that keeps in mind God’s all-directing influence in the world.
- We guide students in Christian living out of love for their Savior. We encourage stewardship of time, talents, and treasures.
- We teach children that they are God’s creation. Therefore, they should be led to respect the rights and welfare of others at school, home, or wherever they might be.
- We train citizens who 1) recognize God as the source of all governments, 2) use their talents to serve Him, and 3) delight in obeying the laws of our land and participating in the affairs of our community.
- We give aid to the Christian home by helping to train children in the virtues of Christian living and proper church life, and by assisting parents in meeting the challenges of properly guiding their children.